EVIC home page
EVIC Update #2
August 12, 2000
The EVIC-111 Mk1 was running with a top speed close to 7000 RPM and an idle speed of about 1800 RPM in early July. The increased speed range was a result of changes to the PIC software and the addition of a stronger exhaust valve spring to close the valve more quickly.
After achieving this improved performance I decided to lay out proper PCBs for the electronics and to prepare drawings for publication. Both have been done and the engine was run several times in late July and early August with the new PCBs. Today I sent the drawings and documentation to Bob Washburn at Strictly IC. I am hopeful that he will find the quality of my work satisfactory and that you will soon see the plans in print.
I am going to offer assembled and tested PCBs for sale to anyone who wants to build and experiment with the EVIC. I haven't estabilshed a price yet and won't get around to this until after vacation, until early September. The electronics are flexible enough that they could be adapted to a different engine if anyone is interested this kind of experimenting.
Also in September I will be trying some new software which I think will give a performance boost. The engine has never run as smoothly as I had expected. I tracked down the reason for this on Thursday evening, a software bug in the intake valve opening logic that sometimes introduces a 1.5msec error in the time used for the speed calculation. I haven't fixed it yet but it will be fairly easy to do. Another planned change should lead to improved spark advance timing and better low speed performance.
Contact Info : firstname.lastname@example.org